To get your Marriage License Requirements in Texas, Harris County, here’s what you need to know and what documents to bring with you before you apply for a marriage license in Texas. We recommend getting this legal aspect of your wedding out of the way about a month before your ceremony date.
To get a marriage license in Texas, you will need one valid form of id such as drivers license, certified copy of your birth certificate, U. S. passport, military ID card, and your Social Security number.
Neither one of you have to be a resident of Texas. Texas is a great locale for a destination wedding!
In Texas, couples are encouraged to attend a premarital education course that is at least four hours duration. It must be finished during the year preceding applying for a marriage license. Contact the county clerk for a roster of area course providers.
If divorced within thirty days, Texas requires that you show a certified copy of your divorce decree stating the 30 day waiting period is waived.
Waiting Period in Texas:
Fees and Other Tests:
$31 – $71 cash, so don’t leave home without it! The fees may vary from Texas county to county. Blood tests or medical examinations are not required in Texas.
Common Law Marriage or Informal Marriage:
Yes. Texas also refers to common law marriage as an informal marriage.For a marriage to be declared an informal marriage in Texas, a couple has two options.
- 1. Sign a declaration of their marriage under oath. The form is available at County Clerk’s office.
- The Declaration states: “I solemnly swear (or affirm) that we, the undersigned, are married to each other by virtue of the following facts: On or about (Date) we agreed to be married, and after that date we lived together as husband and wife and in this state we represented to others that we were married. Since the date of marriage to the other party I have not been married to any other person. This declaration is true and the information in it which I have given is correct.”
- 2. Live together as husband and wife in Texas
- Represent to others that they are married.
- Agree with one another that they are married.
Renewal of Vows or Secret Marriage Remarriage:
According to the Texas state laws, a county clerk must issue a marriage license to a couple who is already married to each other.Yes. In Texas, any adult person can apply on behalf of an applicant who is unable to appear personally before the county clerk. An affidavit of absence form must be provided. If you are incarcerated and are unable to be present for your wedding ceremony, you can also request a Prison Proxy form.
Officiants:Persons authorized to perform weddings in Texas include licensed or ordained Christian ministers, priests, Jewish rabbis, officers authorized by religious organizations, justices of the supreme court, judges of the court of criminal appeals, justices of the courts of appeals, judges of the district, county, and probate courts, judges of the county courts at law, judges of the courts of domestic relations, judges of the juvenile courts, retired justices or judges, justices of the peace, retired justices of the peace, and judges or magistrates of a federal court of Texas.
The license is valid in Texas for 30 days.
Copy of Certificate of Marriage:
Bureau of Vital Statistics
Texas Department of Health
P.O. Box 12040
Austin, TX 78711-2040
Phone – (512) 458-7111
Harris County Marriage License in Texas, Harris County – Office
Harris County Clerk
Houston, TX 77251
8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. / M – F
Closed for holidays.