By: Kristin Scheel,
Opulent Event Planners, LLC
Finding a good wedding photographer is a critical step in planning your wedding. With the hundreds of wedding photographers in the Houston area, it seems almost impossible to make the best decision about who to hire. But don’t worry, with a few simple guidelines, every couple can find the right photographer for their special day.
Your search for wedding photographers begins in a number of ways:
- A Referral
- A Bridal Show
- An Internet – Phonebook Search.
These will give you a place to start. Now you need to narrow down your options and interview potential photographers.
Some common mistakes that people make in selecting a photographer are:
- Choosing their photographer based solely on price
- Choosing a photographer after looking at their bridal portraits instead of viewing the wedding album
- Hiring a photographer without visiting the studio and spending time talking to the photographer and
- Hiring a photographer without checking their references.
I suggest you spend some time doing your research and talking to several photographers within your price range. Don’t be too firm about what you are willing to pay for without first exploring your options. However, be reasonable. You do not want to consider a photographer that charges a minimum of $10,000, if that’s way outside your budget.
Some initial questions to ask your photographer are:
- Do you take digital photos or use film?
There are several differences between the two types of media, and you need to choose a professional that will deliver what you expect.
- How long have you been shooting weddings? How many weddings did you shoot last year?
- How many photographers are in this studio?
- Will you have back up equipment at my wedding in case of a malfunction?
- Can I look at your wedding albums?
Ask yourself, do you like their work? Pay attention to the details.
All of these basic questions will give you an understanding of that particular photographer’s professional style and experience. But there’s still one more thing you need to do.
You need to meet the photographer and get a feel for how you two communicate. You need to feel the relationship out and find out if he or she understands what you are looking for. It is important to build an open relationship with your photographer so that he knows what your individual needs and wants are for your wedding day.
Your photographer will make numerous decisions on the day of your wedding in order to capture the special moments. You need to feel confident in the photographer’s experience and trust his personality because ultimately that is what will show through on the day of your wedding.
Choosing the right photographer is a process that requires research and intuition. It is not a decision that should be made hastily or you might end up working with someone that can’t meet your expectations. Your wedding photos are something you will have forever, so take your time so that you are sure to use good judgment.